Desert Landscape Photography Workshop
For beginner, intermediate or advanced photographers
Learning from a pro will launch your photography skills to a whole new level!
This workshop is designed for both the beginning photographer who wants to learn some exciting new approaches to landscape photography, or for more advanced photographers who hope to expand their creative skills and techniques.
We will be working in two of my favorite local desert shooting locations in both late afternoon/sunset light in addition to early morning golden hour conditions. You will learn new approaches to planning your shoot, optimal camera settings, maximizing on existing lighting conditions and many image choice and framing techniques that I have learned to prioritize in my work as a pro photographer over three decades.
You'll learn my exclusive methods to creating beautiful photos!
We will work together shooting the beautiful landscapes in and around the Superstition Mountain area and then more than 5 hours in a classroom environment working through the processing and editing techniques I use every day.
You will receive valuable instruction from an expert in desert landscape photography on every aspect you need to create desert landscape photos that will truly amaze you. You will learn the entire process and workflow I have developed over many years and use constantly to create amazing landscape photography. Armed with your newly gained arsenal of increased knowledge and understanding in both shooting and image processing techniques ... life will never be the same!
2:00 PM - 4:30 PM - Meet at Steve's home studio for introductions and instruction.
5:00 PM to Sunset - Afternoon/sunset location shooting.
Sunrise to 9: 00 AM - Meet at second shoot location for sunrise shooting.
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM - In-class processing/editing instruction.
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM - Lunch break and continued group discussions.
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM - Continued image processing instruction and demonstration.
--- Scroll down for workshop dates and cost ---
-- Scroll down for more details --
What will you learn?
You will leave the workshop with some stunning landscape photos that you shot and edited yourself, plus in depth knowledge of the tried and tested methods I have developed over nearly three decades of shooting the southwest to create amazing landscape photos that will WOW your friends and family!
Here are some of the many topics we will be discussing in the workshop:
- Planning and preparation for the most productive and successful photo shoots.
- Photo equipment bag organization and considerations.
- Image sensor ISO settings; what they are and what they mean to you.
- Understanding RAW vs DNG vs TIFF vs JPG digital image files
- Tips on how to identify a well balanced image frame and keys to avoiding potential problems.
- How to choose the correct shutter speed / aperture / ISO settings for the optimum capture.
- How to find the perfect focus setting for any image.
- Cameras, lenses and other equipment considerations.
- Identifying and working within the limitations of your equipment and the field conditions.
- How to shoot amazing photos during those golden hours of late afternoon and morning light.
- How and when to shoot multiple RAW exposures in order to thoroughly capture the full spectrum of light and color data in anticipation of blending images as necessary during processing.
- Field shooting techniques that guarantee everything in your frame is perfectly sharp and in focus.
- Learn to identify your shortcomings and fears in photography by asking questions. All areas of concern or perceived weakness will be directly addressed and hopefully transformed into strengths - as long as you ask the questions!
One of the greatest things about these workshops is that each one is uniquely tailored to the specific interests and needs of our group - so you will hopefully learn exactly what you need!
-- Scroll down for more details --
You will create stunning images of your own using my proven processing magic!
Understanding how digital imagery works is key to mastering the image editing process. As an admitted complete technical photo-geek, I have developed a workflow and system to my photography that I am excited to share with others. With just a few tips and methods from this workshop, you will gain the skills to create truly stunning images with literally a few clicks and adjustments in Lightroom and/or Photoshop. Here are is a summation of the many processing topics we will cover on image processing:
- Memory card management, organization and backup protection considerations.
- Understanding bit depth and how images are recorded in digital files.
- How RAW images files differ from JPG and why to shoot nothing but RAW!
- Various ways to organize, keyword and rate your image in the Adobe Lightroom catalogue.
- Benefits of editing RAW files rather than JPG files in either Lightroom or Photoshop.
- Understanding how far to take your editing in Lightroom before exporting and finishing the process in Photoshop.
- How to make the most of the tools available in Lightroom by learning how they work - including color temperature and tint adjustments, graduated filters, spot removal, the adjustment brush, clarity tool, etc, etc ... we will cover it all.
- Understand Lightroom export file type considerations in an effort to minimize data loss before continuing your edit in Photoshop.
- Using some of the basic photoshop tools including curves, hue/saturation, color balance, etc.
- How to create and use a clipping mask with various tools in order to apply by painting it into only the areas of your photo that need it.
- How to import multiple images into layers and merge them easily and effectively.
- How to manipulate, adjust and clean up your image using the bandaid, clone, liquify and warp tools.
- How to spot and remove visible dust specs seamlessly form the image.
- Learn to adjust and balance the color in your image between sky, highlights and shadows
resulting in that over-edited look.
- Learn a variety of tools available for creating and selecting only specific areas of your image.
- Using the sharpen tool in conjunction with noise reduction and applying it only to specific areas of the image.
- How to make the most of the many amazing image manipulation tools available in Lightroom and Photoshop without overworking an image.
- Imbedded color profile considerations and final preparations for print or web presentation.